…dry, itchy, flaky scalp
Your scalp may itch due to several causes:
- An allergic reaction: It’s possible to experience an allergic reaction to the chemicals used in the products you are using. Especially if you wear braids. it’s important to find a high-quality brand with fewer irritating and low-quality chemicals in it.
- An exposed scalp: When you wear braids, cornrows, flat twists and other styles that leave greater areas of your scalp exposed to the air, it can take some getting used to. Your scalp may itch simply because this skin isn’t usually exposed to the elements and the feeling is different than being constantly covered by hair.
- Dry scalp: Some people naturally have dry scalps, and they must take steps to alleviate it to avoid tightness and itching.
- Nourish your scalp: Your dry scalp might just be thirsty. Try oiling it with natural oils (our Tissue Oil is packed with grape seed oil, which is a light and nourishing oil ideal for dry scalp conditions).
- Shampoo: The scalp needs to be cleansed on a regular basis, even when wearing braids. You can shampoo your scalp without messing up your hair. Make sure to cleanse in the shower in order to keep the hair in a vertical position. Let the water cascade through the hair, working through your braids very gently with your fingers. Apply shampoo to your hands and work it onto your scalp, taking care to rub it in. The downward motion of the water will carry the shampoo onto your braids, so there’s no need to vigorously work a lather into them.
Antiseptic: Mix some of our Pure Eucalyptus Oil into your shampoo (2% – 5% concentration) and this will help treat any infections that may be prevalent. Rinse well after washing.